Just some quick thoughts for a lazy Sunday afternoon:
1) The Jets looked awful on Saturday night against a depleted Carolina Panthers team. No reason to push the panic button but I can’t imagine R2 was happy about what he saw out there. Offense is taking a lot of heat and it’s easy to blame the players but Schotty seemed to have an off day himself. Defense looked okay (except for a handful of plays) but Carolina wasn’t 100% healthy but the 2s didn’t stink up the joint as they did against the Giants so overall, it’s a plus.
2) The news about the makers of APB this past week was not surprising, sad but not surprising. As always, making MMOs is exceptionally hard and it’s that much harder when you try to go out of the MMO comfort zone, don’t have an experienced MMO team and don’t have proven (bought or made) tech. Having all of them are not guarantees of success but having none of them definitely makes it a lot harder. As always, I feel sorry for the people who put in so much blood, sweat and tears on the game and I wish those laid off the best and hope they find another gig soon.
3) The “WTC Mosque” debate and controversy continues to build in NYC (and it’s going to get worse) and most of our political leadership is either standing on the sidelines, wafflling or resorting to cliches. Way to earn your power, pay, perks and prestige guys and gals! And people wonder why so many of us have lost/losing faith in the political process and elected officials in our country. It’s a tough call but if you want to be in politics and be a leader you have to be willing to make tough calls occasionally don’t you?
4) What’s next for the MMO market? Are subscription games dead (I don’t think so) but it’s certainly getting more challenging out there as social networking games eat up more bandwidth and more MMOs from Asia come ashore here and both of these trends will continue unabated for the next few years at least. Hopefully the economic climate will improve worldwide but it ain’t 2004 anymore and anyone who doesn’t realize that is in for a rude awakening.
5) Thinking about what the social gaming space will look like a year after Google makes its big splash. Could be a real game changer (major understatement). No matter what, it’s going to be a very, very interesting year for FB/Zynga/PD/PF/etc. as well as for the whole online (MMOs included) segment.
6) Looking forward to seeing the new tablets from Dell, LG, etc. Let’s see how the non-Apple tablets sell before we pronounce them the new must-have device, but they are very intriguing.
7) The most interesting new reality show of the Fall should be “Survivor – Minnesota Vikings Edition”. Grab some popcorn, settle back in the La-Z-Boy, things could get very interesting very quickly out there.
Going to see Piranha-3D tonight, I hear it is a true Summer Popcorn Movie. Big nasty creature invades, upsets natural balance, eats some people. When you think about it, it might not be much different than (7) above.🙂